Thursday, April 18, 2013

"Reinventing the Bazaar" by John McMillan Chapter 4 Questions

1.  I found the part about the trucker and his laptop to be very interesting.  It thought that it was pretty funny that he had his laptop with him and he charged it by a lawn mower battery in a bowling bag.  The point of this passage was about how new methods of information have completely evolved the trucking industry.  I think it is remarkable how much technology is evolving and how it is changing the economy.  Information now is so easy to get.  I can walk into a store and do my own information retrieving by simply pulling up the product on my iPhone.

2.  I believe that when the author was referring to transaction costs, he was referring to costs to the seller that don't necessarily apply to the good being sold.  I feel that examples shed more light on the concept.  The author gives the examples of things like "money back guarantee" or the buyer being able to trust the seller not to reuse the buyer's credit card information.  Transaction costs are costs to the seller to make the buyer feel more safe in the transaction.

3.  I feel that the sellers get the upper hand when information is not evenly distributed.  When people are not informed that they can get the same good for a lower price, they will end up paying too much for the good.  In addition, as the author said, people may end up buying a good that does not necessarily the perfect fit for them.  I feel that uneven distribution of information hurts the consumer the most.  On the other hand, when information is evenly distributed, people will seek out the lower prices, giving more business to the under cutter, which leaves the other businesses with higher prices at a loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment